Saturday, June 16, 2018

Day 2-To the Museum of Radio & Technology

I started early this morning but the back roads of West Virginia seemed to be slow going so after a couple hours I jumped onto Interstate 64 so I would be sure to get to the museum before closing.  The early drive was rolling farmlands and Appalachian mountains.  It was a scenic, twisty ride and at one point just a one lane road.


I arrived at the museum about 1pm and met Dave, Charlie and Bill.  They were having lunch so we all sat down and chatted about radios, chemistry, computers and a few other topics.  We had a great chat.

Charlie gave me the tour.  You can see a lot of the items on their website and they have a facebook page as well.  Charlie said their prize possession was a Philco 38-690 which they received in excellent condition...
Philco 38-690

 There was a radio shop that was recreated ...


More radios than you could count...





You get the idea.  But wait...they also had Gilbert chemistry sets along with other Gilbert items like tool sets, erector sets, microscope sets etc!



The building was originally a school and they have a nice display of former students and teachers.


There was a hall of fame for radio and TV people from West Virginia including Soupy Sales who was from the Huntington WV area.

Tomorrow I head to Shelbyville KY.  No particular reason, its just about 5 hours away.  We'll see what we come across along the way......and look who followed me from my last stop!

1 comment:

  1. the radio museum looks great... when I read ALL THE LIGHT WE CANNOT SEE I found out how important radio transmissions were for the Allies in WW2

    ReplyDelete