Saturday, June 9, 2018

Here we go again...

This drive is the return trip from the 2017 Jeep Drive that I made in the fall.  The plan is to take a more southerly route.  Originally I was going to drive south to US 60 in Virginia and take US 60 West all the way to the point US 60 ends at Brenda, AZ, and then head north toward Oregon.  After getting in touch with a high school friend, Willis Greiner, who lives in El Prado NM, I decided to alter the route a bit to visit him and then see some of the Grand Canyon and other National Parks and Monuments that are north of US 60.  As before, all plans are tentative and decisions will be made the night before each day of travel.  Its about 1 week from lift off....

Coming east last fall, the road that I had planned to take in part of eastern Oregon was closed due to a large fire.  This time, it looks like the road, US 64, to El Prado that I had planned to take is closed between Eagles Nest and Cimarron due to the Ute Park Fire.  We'll see what it looks like when I get out there but I'll probably have to detour around that section. (Update: on June 11 they reopened US 64 so it will be an interesting ride through that burned section.)

No comments:

Post a Comment