Monday, June 25, 2018

Day 11 - Trees...big big big

This morning was all about driving to Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks.  The drive was almost 6 hours just to get to Sequoia so it was a long day and I did not do a lot of stopping or picture taking along the way.  I passed through Bakersfield and by the Edwards Air Force base.  Saw a military jet zoom by at one point.  I did not mention it but earlier in the trip I did see a couple of crop dusters at work.  They were working fields next to the road I was on.  Very low flying with a quick turn at the end of the field.  All the windows were up and the vents on internal air as I went by!!

It seems to be fix the road season...I spent 20 minutes or more waiting for this to open up.  Chatted with Susan while waiting.

Arrived at Sequioa about 12:30 or so.  It was an uphill, switchback drive both before the entrance gate and after. 
Yes, if you look closely, that is Elmeer up on the sign.

This was on the way up the mountain.  Not to the big trees yet.
There was even contruction within the Park!  This was about 15 miles up the road.  They open it up once every hour so you  could have a long wait.  Fortunately Elmer and I only waited about 10 minutes.
After the road work we started seeing the large Sequoias.


Headed between two seqoias

And here you are looking up at one...

The day ended in Dinuba CA rather than Fresno.  I have been staying at Best Westerns most of the time to build up some reward points and the Fresno BWs just did not sound too appealing based on their reviews.  This one is just fine.  There are lots of orange, lemon, grape and other crops being grown here.  The fields go on forever.  I did get a nice sunset over the orang grove...


Have not yet figured out tomorrows route....maybe it will just be a wildcard day!


1 comment:

  1. wildcard days are fun!
    Sequoia Natl Park is cool, but Yosemite still my fave!

    ReplyDelete