Friday, June 15, 2018

Day 1 - Take off...

We made our way to the airport and Susan is on her way to SFO and then Bandon tomorrow.  My trip went smoothly also.  West on 78 and south on 81 was the typical Pennsylvania countryside I see all the time and have travelled a number of times.  Arrived at Skyline drive after passing through Maryland and West Virginia briefly before getting to Virginia.   One detour off 81 led to the intersection with the huge fireworks display...worth the trip!

Posting this using my tablet is a little harder than when I did it on the lap top so the layout may be a bit less appealing...
At one of the many "overlooks" that you can pull off at along the drive.

Another overlook but this one had the neat looking dead tree right next to the road.

The full skyline drive is over 100 miles (at 35 mph).  I did about 65 and then took a road out back to 81 south.

 The drive was very pleasant and peaceful.  It wasn't too crowded and all were enjoying the mild weather and sunshine.  There were deer grazing along the road and I saw two black bears crossing the road.  Good reasons to only be doing 35!  One of the bears was coming up the roadway in my direction while I was at an overlook.  I took his picture but he was just too far away to see in the photo and I wasn't waiting around for him to get closer.

Tomorrow is a trip primarily to get to a museum of antique radio equipment.  I need to be up early to get there before they close at 4PM.  The route will be: https://goo.gl/maps/NTr3PNRa27J2

oh...and I made a friend at the motel!


1 comment: