Sunday, June 17, 2018

Day 3 - a Kentucky drive

Today was just a meandering drive along US 60 to Shelbyville KY.  It is Fathers Day today and my son Steven gave me a call so we could have a father-son moment.  When Susan and I chatted about mid-day I was at the Clarmont Memorial Gardens.  It was a waypoint on my google maps routing and happened to be a good spot to stop and call.  It was a cemetery that had more flowers than I have ever seen.  Almost a bouquet on every grave.  Here are a couple of photos.



Most of the drive was very similar to driving in Pennsylvania.  Farmland, barns, houses, small towns, occasional school buildings with lots of bus stop warning signs. 

Here is a country barn picture with my buddy Elmer on the dash.


I saw 5 or 6 dilapidated building with "Antiques" signs on them.  Maybe being in that business is the last step before the end!  One town had a drive-in theater that had the back of the screen facing the road (with many holes in it) and the car parking area well overgrown with shrubs and weeds.  Still had its big Drive-In sign though. 

Around Lexington KY you could tell the nature of the farms changed and then I saw that I was either on or at an intersection with American Pharoh Blvd.  Yes it is horse country and these big farms had lots of money behind them!  Beautiful wood fences, sometimes double wood fencing.  Large fields for the horses...but I did not see any.  Probably too hot for them to be out.  weather.com said it was 100F although my car only said 94F...still hot!

Dinner was at Bungalow Joes...a local eatery that seemed to have good reviews.  It had a nice atmosphere.


Tomorrow is another mostly driving day to Sikeston MO.  I will try to stop a bit more to take pics.  There were several times I went by things I really should have photographed...  https://goo.gl/maps/dRqBLZjxRs92






3 comments:

  1. Hey Bob,

    When you reach Sikeston, MO, you must have dinner at Lambert's, the "home of throwed rolls". It is an experience you won't soon forget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it would be fun to stop in those out of the way Antique stores...

    ReplyDelete