Monday, June 18, 2018

Day 4 - midwest corn

Was up early in Shelbyville KY and headed west, again mostly on US 60 West.
7AM Shelbyville
Elmer and me on US 60 in KY

Driving was remarkably....unremarkable.  Not many places to stop that were interesting, the few museums are all closed on Mondays.  One of the most interesting...?...was when we got stopped for about 20 minutes for some road construction.

The terrain did shift from rolling hills to the flat, flat...did I mention flat lands of the midwest with its row of endless corn and soybeans.

Lunch was a stop at a Cracker Barrell...that is where I learned it was only 10:30am not 11:30am because I had crossed into central time.

The one historical marker that I did stop at was in Missouri just before Sikeston where sharecroppers staged a large protest in 1939.  If you are interested just google 1939 sharecropper protest.


Another longish drive tomorrow,  at least for me, of about 7.5 hours to Coffeyville, KS.
https://goo.gl/maps/d2gy5gKTX7v  I hope to stop at the Route 66 Car Museum along the way...stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. my Hubbard & Hays grandparents were from Missouri... When my grandfather left there for SF Bay Area, Berkeley, his family told him to look up the Hays girls, they were good cooks! He did, and married my grandmother when he was 25, she was 16, in Berkeley, along came my mom 4 yrs later, and the rest is history =) he drove his old car (Model T?) over the Rockies in Reverse as not enough power in Drive... =)

    ReplyDelete