Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Day 6 - OK its Oklahoma

Today started out cloudy with some showers expected in the area.  I never saw any rain except for a few drops now and then but did drive through some spots that were still wet even though it was sunny by the time I got to them.  The landscape has changed and become much more open range land rather than having the trees line the roadway.  I find it more interesting to drive through although any individual picture looks kind of bleak.  I saw lots of oil rigs, both working and not, gas wells, wind farms, cattle ranches, one huge stockyard full of cattle, grain elevators and storage bins.

I came across one of the few Historical Markers that have been on the drive.  This one talked about the Chisholm Trail going near the town of Caldwell. Un fortunately I did not get close enough to be able to read the marker in the photo.

Here's one I was not expecting!
In this vicinity Coronado passed 1541
After looking it up, apparently he did indeed pass through Oklahoma in his explorations.

While driving I kept seeing signs that said "Cemetery" and then had an arrow pointing left or right on the road.  After seeing more of them I took the turn and drove down a gravel road for about a mile and came across this:

It was a small cemetery surrounded with a fence and this gate saying Mount Pleasant.  It is obviously maintained, although not mown in the last several weeks.  Some of the stones were from the early 1900s and I could see one as recent as 2005.  I took a second trip at another cemetery sign further along on the drive and came to the Zelma Cemetery.  This one was recently mown and cared for with stones of similar vintages as the first.
I did not notice on the first cemetery but this one had the gate chained and locked.  I must have gone by 20 or more of these cemetery signs so there have to be hundreds of small cemeteries scattered around OK.

I arrived in Guymon OK and will be headed to El Prado NM tomorrow.
https://goo.gl/maps/epUqqjcbzpg2


1 comment:

  1. I didn't see any mountains near Mount Pleasant Cemetery... =)

    ReplyDelete