Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Day 5 - Elmer...we are in Kansas...

Last night after posting my blog I went to Lamberts Cafe the Home of Throwed Rolls.  Sounds strange but is exactly what is says...they throw the rolls to the customers who usually, but not always, catch them.  Its quite a show.  If you click on the link there is a video that gives you the idea.  Thanks to my friend Ron for the suggestion!!
I started about 7am again this morning with only the one planned stop at the car museum but as I drove along I kept seeing signs for the Ozark National Scenic Riverway.  The sign pointed for a right turn off the highway and had a mileage notation.  Sometimes it said 16 miles or 11 miles and finally when one of the signs said 4 miles I made the turn.  I believe this would be the Blue Spring site on the Jacks Fork River.  After about a mile, the paved highway ended and I was on gravel.

Not too long after the side trip to the river, Elmer and I stopped at the Uncle Roosters Restaurant.  Of course it had a big rooster out front and inside, if you brought your marker pen you could leave your message and name on their floor!

After the Rooster experience I made it to the Route 66 Car Museum.  It was a great visit.  I met a fellow from Philadelphia who is restoring a Buick he has had since college.  We had a good chat while admiring the cars.  Here are a few photos, more are on their website.

1930 Packard Phaeton 77

1963 Triumph TR3B

2005 Morgan Aero 8

Ghostbusters

1936 Cord 
The next leg is to Guymon OK.




1 comment:

  1. Uncle Roosters sounds like fun, autographs and all... and thrower rolls reminds me of Seattle Pikes Market where they throw fish! =)
    I'm starting to catch up on your road trip... a little after the fact...

    ReplyDelete