Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Day 13 - NV to CA to OR

I started the day in Nevada, drove into California and stopped in Oregon.  Most of the day was just driving but I did stop at the Lava Field National Monument just south of the Oregon border in California.  The morning was pretty, probably the nicest view from a hotel during the trip.  That is Topaz Lake, NV.  I did have a problem with cell phone coverage.  I was in an AT&T dead zone.  Just a half mile up  the road I was able to get a signal.

Yet another road construction delay...actually there were two of them along the way.

There were many pretty views along the drive north.



The lava fields were visible above ground in some areas but seemed to be covered with more vegetation than the lava fields I saw on the 2017 drive.  It probably means these are older.


Some of the main interest in this lava field is the many (over 500) lava tube caves that are present in the area.  You can go into about a dozen of them but need flashlights, helmets etc.  They do have one that is near the visitor center that is lighted and has a paved pathway in it.  I went down into it for about 100 yards then looked down the tube that seemed to just go deeper and smaller .... claustraphobia kicked in so I headed back out.

The stairway down into the lava tube cave.
In Klamath Falls OR, Elmer and I went to look for a place to have dinner.... we found where we had to go!!


Tomorrow I continue north to the Crater Lake area.  I have always want to see it.  Then west to Bandon.








1 comment:

  1. when I used to camp in northeastern CA at Eagle Lake, it was a short drive to Lassen Nat'l Park, lots of lava and sulphur springs etc. there...

    ReplyDelete